Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Walking along the grassy area between the Social Science Buildings, I saw something glinting in the sun. I stooped down to pick it up. It was a set of keys and rosary beads, a fairly nice set, too. I picked it up and asked people close by, who looked on, with curiosity. I was stricken with a dilemma. Should I leave them or turn them into a Lost & Found nearby. I am among the endangered people who still have faith in humanity, such that I will always expect someone to turn in a wallet, instead of stealing it. By picking up the items, my decision had already been made – turn it in. So, I took it to the Social Sciences Lost and Found Office. They closed at 5 and it was then just after 5pm. I knocked, and they answered, so I handed over the responsibility to the woman at the door. The whole way back, I looked at every person, trying to match them to my mental image of who this rosary carrying person might be. No one looked seemingly distraught or matched the picture in my mind. I felt like asking each person, “Excuse me, have you lost your rosary beads?” What a strange question to ask! As I walked back over the spot that I found them, I looked down. There, among the blades of grass was yet another rosary! I scooped it up and looked around, in question. What is going on? Is this a sign? Who’s putting these here for me to find? I judged whether I should go back to the lost and found… This set was a very cheap, plastic one, like you could buy for 5 cents, so I decided it wasn’t worth it to me, and probably for them. Then I thought about taking them, as a souvenir from this whole experience, but decided against stealing rosary beads due to some moral/religious obligation. So, I threw the black ones back into the grass and left, feeling worse and worse about the person who would come rushing up to the lawn scouring the grass for their keys, and then finding themselves stuck on campus because the lost and found had locked their car keys inside the office until the next day. And then the person would find the black pair and think that someone had stolen theirs for sure, because both were not missing. If I hadn't been on my way to somewhere else with limited time, I would’ve stayed and waited for the person, to reassure them of the safety of their keys and rosary. Good luck to whoever you are. =(

Note: When recapping this story to a friend, I spoke of a séance. She doubted that anyone with Rosary Beads would be partaking in a gathering to raise the dead. Whoops. Goes to show how much I know about religion. Prayer meeting, séance, same difference!

No comments: