Monday, July 07, 2003

Kate says she's not afraid of anything, but...

So, my mom has been in the last 3 posts, but here goes another...
My mom smoked for a while when I was young (like about ages 3-6). My sister at the time was an adolescent who did not like her smoking and decided to take initiative. Together, we would find her packs and throw out all the cigarettes. She finally quit. Then she started up again in '92 and smoked for about a year. I "helped" her quit again by emptying the packs I found. I went so far as to write on little pieces of paper "Don't Smoke!" And roll them up in place of the cancer sticks. Once she got really mad at me because I took her new pack and threw it in the fire right in front of her. She finally quit, but everytime I see her light up the occasional one, I get nervous. She says that as long as she doesn't buy a pack, she's fine. She will have the occasional one at a party or when we see our relatives or whatever, but as long as she doesn't start buying them herself, she can "not be addicted". One of my biggest fears is that she'll start up again. I don't even know why I hate it so much. It's not like a went through a propoganda-induced DARE program or anything. And I don't care if my friends or sister (although I wish she wouldn't) smokes. But when my mom does it, it really gets to me. So, when I heard today that the last party she was at, she smoked "all night long". I was angry. "Oh yeah, she keeps a pack in her car." I confronted her, but she was in a horrid mood, so she snapped at me, and I gave up. I'm disappointed in her. She broke her own rule. She bought a pack. So, the juice starts tomorrow... She doesn't know I know about the pack in the car, which means my new mission is to find and break those cigarettes.
PS. I just got an idea. On like TV and stuff when someone finds someone's pack, they make the person smoke them all at once, or in a row or whatever. That's stupid. That only makes it worse. But if I smoked them all in front of her, it would show her how awful I feel when she does it! I feel like it's the only thing that'll teach her a lesson! Ewww. I just don't want to smoke a cigarette! That's gross. I told myself I never would! Hmmm. I'll do it if she truly has started up again. Time for an investigation...

No comments: