Sunday, July 13, 2003

Neighborhood Block Party

It's real simple to tell if I like you or not (and I mean as friends or more or all of the above). If I don't even give you the time of day, you know I don't like you. If you're next to me and I look straight ahead or to my other side the whole time, that means I don't want to be talkin to you. But apparently that's not obvious enough. Such was the case today at the neighborhood potluck. This 30 year old who said he was a grad student was talking to me a lot today. I was not interested in his purple/rose tinted glasses or his 'I'm a rich Silicon Valley Bachelor who lives with families in a posh neighborhood' attitude. I kept thinking maybe he's just trying to be nice and start conversation with me, like the other friendly neighbors. But then he starts talking to me about his ex-girlfriend, making it obvious that he's available now. I was just praying he wouldn't ask the dreaded question of am I with someone or something. He told me about these college girls he saw who got a lemonade stand and "probably cleared well over $200", then proceded to tell me how he doesn't even like lemonade, but stopped for it anyway and that I should do that for a summer job. =( He kept talking about how he lived up the hill and didn't really want to walk ALL the way up there. I played stupid. I knew he was trying to get me to offer him a ride up there so he could perhaps offer me a tour of his house. Gross. He went to go show off his strength by helping to pick up a heavy box nearby, and I took the chance to retreat to my house! =(
The firefighters were giving a demonstration with their hoses. One of the neighbors asked to handle it for a bit. He (a 15 year old boy) stradled the hose and started spraying. The fireman came up to him and told him, "Uhh, you don't want to be doin that, son.... It could mess with you future..." The kid carefully swung a leg over and sprayed more seriously from then on.

No comments: