Monday, February 13, 2006

I have really been enjoying my classes this quarter. (Maybe because I know the end is near.) I am taking two boring Econ classes for my major - Poverty & Public Policy as well as Economic Analysis of the Law. Both are mildly interesting, but I certainly wouldn't choose to take them.
I am also taking a swimming class (for 0 credits), that is teaching me how to swim! I'm in level 4, even though I should probably be in level 2 or 3, but the teacher is letting me struggle to keep up with the 4th level class. It's a really small class, about 6 students, so I get a lot of one on one attention, which is good. My main problem (other than learning these strokes for the first time) is the same problem I have with golf: I try too hard. Both sports, swimming and golf, work best when the motions are smooth, slow, and graceful. I try to go as fast and as hard as I can! The teacher tells me to slow down and relax during every class.
My other favorite class, is my Physics class. Don't let that word scare you. It's a Conceptual Physics class, which means we only go over the ideas, not the math! I call it my Physics for 8th graders class, because it is similar to the properties of physics that you would learn in middle school. (Light, what is an atom, etc) The teacher is really fun and very smart. He's always referring to the accelerator at Stanford (where he spends most of his time) and saying "we" found this, etc.. And I know he truly means "we", that he was personally involved with these discoveries, etc. That's so awesome! He also always does all these cool experiments in class everyday. Today, he demonstrated pressure, by laying on a bed of nails and having someone pound on him with a sledge hammer!!!
Here are some pictures that I took with my cell phone (hence the poor quality):

Here is my teacher, showing us that they are real, sharp nails.


Here is Prof. Schalk laying down on the bed of nails.


Then, a smaller bed of nails was placed across his chest, with a cinder block on top of that (hard to see, but it is light gray and being held in place by the man's finger). Notice his protection over his vital areas - a plastic dome to protect his face, and a wood board over his umm.. lower region. He said that he learned to do this from experience of the cinder block breaking and falling in the wrong direction.. Ouch!


Then came the sledge hammer! Whap! And the cement block broke into pieces! I think this shot is right after the hammer hit, you can sort of see the block falling into pieces.


Here is the bed of nails and the broken cinder block. My teacher was, of course, OK, and continued with his lecture of the day: Liquids. I don't know what pressure had to do with liquids, but that's ok.


I just thought this was one of the cooler classes I've had as a college student, so I wanted to share it! =)

No comments: